Thursday 16 July 2015

Too close for comfort

17 May 2014
Who knew chicken keeping could be life threatening? A simple clean out of the chicken house this afternoon turned into a major drama when, pulling out the straw, I came up close and personal (like about 3 inches of separation) with a black snake that had been, up to that moment, happily hiding in the bedding. 

Shocked beyond comprehension I exited the chicken house at lightening speed and shut the door. Thank you SO MUCH to my friendly knight in shining armour who galloped to my rescue (almost literally as he was on a horse on a trail in the bush when I phoned him!). When he arrived, complete with snake catching apparatus, he found that the snake had decided the excitement was too much for a Saturday afternoon and had vacated the premises. The chicken house has now been packed with wood, bricks and sand in an attempt to prevent a repeat visit…and I have almost stopped shaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment